Thursday, February 21, 2013

Gus

Today was a hard day and one that Keith has been dreading for awhile.  Gus went to heaven.  About a week or two before Keith and I went to Utah Gus had been sick and my Mom took him to the vet and found he had a urinary infection and we received some medicine for him and the first meds he went home with he had an allergic reaction from so my Mom had to go back and get different ones.  We were worried about his health but I felt reassured that everything was fine and he was feeling better.  Keith told me I should probably say my goodbyes to him while in Utah but I didn't think that was needed because he seemed so normal and fine.

While we were in Utah Gus was happy and acted normal.  I had done some research online before the trip about Shelties and found that it is common for them to turn in circles, not chasing their tail, but it was a way for them to express their happiness.  When we were at home he did that frequently and it made me happy knowing he was so happy to be with me.  We used to always think it was silly of him and he was just chasing his tail.  I had told some of my coworkers about Gus and one of them had asked me to take pictures and video of him doing his tricks, and so I did.  I am so glad I did because who knew a little over a week after leaving he'd be gone.  I would stay up each night while in Utah and just pet him and hug him.  My parents always teased me that I loved Gus more than them because when we'd skype I'd always want to see Gus and say how much I missed him.  It's hard with a pet because he can't talk and I don't know if he recognized me on the computer screen.  When we first skyped he wouldn't even look at the screen but he had more recently started looking at it.

Soon after we left Utah Gus started being sick again and my Mom again took him to the vet.  Gus was dehydrated and they hooked him up to an IV and had him stay overnight at the vets.  The next day my parents took Gus to Logan to another vet for an ultrasound (yesterday).  Yesterday was also my Mom's birthday.  She took him up and the vet was impressed with Gus because she didn't have to sedate him or drug him up to do the ultrasound.  She also thought he was a beautiful dog and couldn't believe he was so sick.  What the ultrasound showed was that Gus had growths all over his body, the vet didn't even dare take a blood sample because she was worried his blood wouldn't coagulate and he'd die right there.  She said it wouldn't be worth to operate because it was everywhere.  She told my Mom that he has been in a lot of pain and has been for awhile and that he must have a high pain tolerance.  We had no idea, Gus always seemed fine and normal until recently.  He hadn't eaten or drank anything all week other than the IV but the vet gave him some medicine so he'd be comfortable and out of pain the last night at home.  My Mom brought him back home and pretty much held him the rest of the night.  She was able to skype with me and I was able to say goodbye to him.  He looked content in her arms but didn't really react to anything.  It was hard to say goodbye but I knew he'd have to be put down today.  RIP Gus, I miss you!

Keith has recommended I write about the good times with Gus, which is all the time.  It's kind of embarrassing how hard I'm taking this being an adult and all but Gus was part of the family to me.  My parents decided to get a dog soon after Elizabeth Smart was abducted, he was to help keep me company and to protect me (he doesn't look too fierce but he would've protected me).  My parents picked him out (I didn't go along), and I had decided that his name was Gus if he was a boy and Zoe if he'd been a girl.  I came up with the name Gus from the fat mouse in Cinderella (my favorite Disney movie).  My parents picked him, I guess he was the runt of the litter but they liked his coloring and his nose (we ended up being in puppy school with one of Gus' brothers and Gus was much cuter).  Gus has always been a very smart, well-behaved dog.  He did like to pee on my neighbor as a puppy but he grew out of that.  He also liked to bark at the doorbell and the phone ringing, but he was doing his job, protecting us.  High School were some rough years for me and Gus was my best friend during them.  He would follow me around the house and would just lie near where I was.  I remember he used to like to "sing" while I played the flute, it was so cute and funny.  I loved taking Gus for walks down the driveway and getting the mail with him.  I especially loved taking Gus out to the garden to keep me company.  I would sneak him raspberries because he loved them!  I had to make sure Mom wasn't looking.  One day I had gotten a Carmello candy bar from somewhere and had put it on my bed, I came in later to find that Gus had jumped up on my bed and eaten all of it.  We were so worried he was going to die because chocolate isn't good for dogs, fortunately he was fine.  He was the most cuddly dog, I loved carrying him around because he'd set his head on your shoulder.  I liked to put him in front of the mirror, I don't think he enjoyed it.  I remember him sitting at my feet or by my bed or at my bedroom door, being a little watch dog.  He was very smart, he knew to stay off the wood floor, stay on the grass, to tell us when he needed to go potty, play dead, rollover, take his food on command, shake, etc.  He never was interested in fetch, but that's ok.  When he was younger I liked to get him wound up and he'd start running all over and making funny noises.  Gus was a shy dog and didn't enjoy sleeping anywhere but his crate.  I would try and get him to sleep with me in my room but he would always sneak out or whine at the door to get out.  He liked being able to roam and be able to keep an eye on everyone.  He loved walking around the island in our kitchen.  Whenever I'd come home he'd get so excited and wag his tail like crazy.  He especially loved getting petted on his rump, he'd do a little dance and wag his tail.  Sometimes I would be laying by him and he'd put his head under my hand so I'd keep/start petting him.  He was so cuddly and comforting.  It's really a blessing he was so happy while we were in Utah and I didn't have to see him being sick.  

Some of the names I liked to call Gus was: Gus Gus, Gussy, Gus-a-luf-a-Gus, Gussy roo poo, and Gussers.  Gus loved to please us and he was very loyal.  The last day we were in Utah he really started barking and going after the UPS man that came to our door, at the time we were a little annoyed he wouldn't settle down but now looking back it was kind of ironic that he was in so much pain but he was not going to let that UPS guy hurt us.  He was such a good dog.  Gus didn't really like to ride in the car, he was very  much a home body.  I didn't really say my goodbyes to him because I didn't believe it was going to be the last time I'd see him, I wish I had.  But I love him and miss him like crazy.  He was the best dog.  I'm so grateful to have had him as a companion and that he is now out of pain and in a better place.  Gus will forever be in my heart.  Love you Gussy.   
Here are a bunch of pics and a couple of videos of Gus Gus. 


























No comments: